Friday, March 16, 2012

An Inciting Incident

In his book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, Donald Miller says an inciting incident is walking through a doorway by which you cannot return. It creates a plot. It forces you to live a good story. For Don it was flippantly suggesting to a girl he liked that they hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. She said yes. The story began.

A couple weeks ago I offered to cook dinner for an event our chapel is hosting. That wasn't the inciting incident.

Yesterday I learned that the guest list is at least 60 people, including some very distinguished visitors.
And today I visited Cherry Tree Butchers in Mildenhall where the butcher hoisted half a cow onto the counter. I ordered 15 kilos. I walked through the door.

A smarter woman would not serve a three-course plated dinner featuring beef bourguignon to what will likely be 75 guests. The story begins.

I hope it will not be a tragedy.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited for the opportunity. 30 is the most I've ever cooked for.

      Delete
    2. What an exciting adventure!!! Can't wait to hear about it!!!

      Delete
  2. The plot thickens: the guest of honor is a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete