Sunday, March 25, 2012

Food as the Backdrop


Last night I served a three-course plated dinner to 70 people, including dignitaries from around England. Mixed greens with julienned beets and French herb vinaigrette, followed by beef bourguignon with buttered mashed potatoes; and assorted chocolate biscuits. While plating entrees in the kitchen, I remarked to one of the many wonderful people who made the evening come together that I missed working in restaurants. 

"I doubt as much prayer goes into most restaurant meals," someone said.  

So true. 

I was not the only one praying that the meal would provide a brilliant backdrop for the young adults in attendance to interact with the guest of honor, Canon Andrew White. I would tell you how funny he is, but then you might think him shallow. I would tell you how wise he is, but then you might think him aloof. All I can tell you is, the man knows God. 

Not in that "he signs off on the correct theology" sort of way. Reverend White shared story after story of God showing up, quite literally, in his church in Baghdad.    

In the end, the meal was beautifully upstaged by the content of the evening. But I guess that's what food is all about: a context, a backdrop for meaningful interaction. Okay, you know me too well, I really do love food more than just as a backdrop. But sometimes that's the best place for it. 


I couldn't have pulled the meal off without help in the kitchen from my friends 
Annette (above) and Beth and the many volunteers who helped serve last night. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it went well!! What a great opportunity to bless so many people!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. I hope it was a blessing! This guy who spoke was something else. Really amazing. I'm just starting his book now, Faith Under Fire. Good stuff!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Pamela! Sounds like it went really well!

    ReplyDelete