Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More thoughts on Beef Bourguignon

I cooked beef bourguignon again this past weekend and stumbled across a new technique I intend to employ every time I make the dish. I posted the recipe late last year on this blog Boeuf Bourguignon It's lovely as is, but to make it even more amazing, I suggest the following: 

Remove cooked pieces of meat, onions and mushrooms to a serving platter and place in a warm oven. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, allowing it to reduce by about one-third. Then whisk in about one tablespoon of butter at a time, until the the sauce thickens further and becomes a gorgeous chestnut brown. I estimate about one tablespoon of butter per half cup of sauce.  As in the recipe for beurre blanc, the acid in the wine acts on the solids in the butter, suspending them into a rich, velvety sauce that defies description. Pour over the meat and vegetables and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment