Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin pie

This morning I had a pumpkin on my counter. This evening I ate pumpkin pie. Who needs canned pumpkin when you can so easily cook your own? I use Chinese five-spice powder because it was what I had in my cupboard and because I enjoyed the especially spicy flavor it imbues. However, you're welcome to substitute a pumpkin pie spice blend or a combination of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice.

1 pie pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup half and half
2 eggs
2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
pinch sea salt

prepared pie crust, either homemade or store bought

Slice pumpkin in half and remove seeds and pith. Lay cut side down on a baking sheet with a few tablespoons of water. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Allow to cool, then scoop out the flesh.

Blind bake the pie crust for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

Combine 3 cups cooked pumpkin with the remaining ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth. Pour this mixture into a prepared pie crust and place into a 375 degree oven for one hour.

Serve with fresh whipped heavy cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment