Sunday, July 10, 2011

Baby Meals #1 Vegetarian Quiche & Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

I'm pretending that the previous 12 weeks in which I haven't posted are my maternity leave and not simply my neglect. I had a baby in May and have had my hands full ever since. During the first few weeks several wonderful people brought us some delicious dinners so I could stay out of the kitchen and simply bask in the sweetness of my new little one. It was a precious time.

And let me tell you, some of the food was really, really good! Not that I'm surprised; I keep company with others who love food as much as I do. So I had to share their culinary genious with you. The first is a vegetarian, crustless quiche that Rich and I polished off in 9 minutes. Yes, it is that good! Dessert is a gluten-free chocolate cake. Enjoy!

Crustless Vegetarian Quiche

1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
1/2 cup mild cheddar, shredded
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pinch cayenne
handfull fresh basil, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease a glass pie pan with butter. Spead the cheese over the bottom of the pan and top with the vegetables and basil. Whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and cayenne and pour over the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Serves 2-4

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake

1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup white sugar
18 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs
kettle full of boiling water

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit. Grease a 10 inch cake pan.  Dissolve the salt and sugar in the hot water. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a heavy-bottom skillet over low heat. Pour into a mixing bowl and beat in the butter one tablespoon at a time. Follow with the sugar water mixture then whisk in the eggs one at a time.

Pour the batter into the pan and set this into a large baking dish to create a water bath. Put both pans in the oven and then pour boiling water into the larger dish. Bake for 45 minutes.

Chill overnight. To remove from the pan, dip into a larger pan of hot water, then invert onto a plate.

Makes 16 slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment