Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When Elizabeth Gives You Lemons...


...and Christy gives you pecans, you make Lemon, Pecan & Basil Pesto. I meet weekly with a beautiful group of women who strive to live off the grid, save money and share resources of time and expertise. We undertake projects together, my favorite of which involve food. Last week we shelled about a dozen pounds of fresh pecans Christy picked from a local farm. The same day Elizabeth brought me about 50 lemons from her backyard lemon tree.

I juiced and zested a third of the bunch, tossing the zest into a freezer bag and filling ice cube trays with the juice. But as I stared at another several dozen lemons, I knew I needed to get creative. Nothing makes me feel more womanly than a little black dress and high heels. Second to that, "putting up" food fulfills that part of me that desires to be creative and nurture the people I love. So I put up some of the most delicious lemon, pecan and basil pesto. Enjoy!

1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup raw pecans, finely chopped
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
3/4 cup olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and puree until smooth. Refrigerate and use the pesto within a few days or freeze in individual ice cube trays then transfer to a freezer bag. To thaw, place pesto cubes in a bowl and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Yields about 1 1/2 cups pesto.

My favorite uses for this pesto include spreading it on pizza crust, tossing it with pasta and artichoke hearts, and spreading it on chicken before grilling.

1 comment:

  1. OMG amazing. that sounds SO good! especially on pizza. i'm imagining something with spinach, artichoke hearts and baby bella mushrooms. YUM!

    ReplyDelete